Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Circle Tiered Table Mega Makeover

I found this beauty along the side of the road one day. I drove past it because I knew that if I brought home one more item that I found along the side of the road my husband would just sigh and shake his head. Which he did when I brought this table home. I couldn't help it. I just had to! And I'm glad I did and so is the hubs.



This table sat around for a while waiting to be made beautiful. Finally, I had a vision and went with it.

First, I sanded the table. I then rubbed a tea candle around the edges of the table. I did this for a distressing effect I planned on doing after I had finished spray painting.

Next, I spray painted the table in Krylon's Heirloom white. I love this color. Mostly white but not stark white. It took me about 3 coats to completely cover the table.

After the paint had dried, I took a rag and rubbed around the edges. This took off the wax and left parts of the original wood where the wax had stuck. This is an easy way to distress...at least for an amateur like me!

Finally, and this was the most difficult and time consuming part, I had to cover up the hideous leather top to the table. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what to do, but finally discovered that contact paper would do the job! I bought the contact paper at the Dollar Store (yes, really!) and with extreme care, a steady hand, scissors, and an exacto knife, I carefully laid the contact paper on top of the original leather-type material.

In all this project took me about 2 hours from the sanding to the 3 coats of spray paint and laying down the contact paper. To be honest, the contact paper probably took just as long as the 3 coats of paint. Oye.

And here is the final outcome...



Let's see the before:



And after:

Pin It

There are definitely imperfections with this table that I can see, but I know to someone just walking past the table, its not noticeable. It fits in well with our decor and best of all, it only cost me about $5!!! Can't beat that!

Linking up to these blogs:



Somewhat Simple, The Shabby Nest

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful transformation! I love the tiered look of the table. I would love it if you could come by today to enter my giveaway for a $50 Lowe's gift card and to link up to my very first party! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/imagine-the-impossibilities-link-party-1/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM... this table is sooo pretty now! I wish someone near me would throw one out just like it! I have used dollar store contact paper before as drawer liner before, but I really like how you used it on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the transformation!! So pretty! I believe I am your FIRST follower!!!
    I currently have a link party going on and would love for you to share this and anything else you would like!

    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/02/thursdays-temptation-link-party-3-some.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love its unique shape! Great job! I hope to find such a treasure along side the road one day too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That table needed your love! Great job! I bring home items and the husband doesnt like them until I transform them...he's starting to trust me more now.
    You should join me for Handmade 52!
    http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/ -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a table that is similar. The contact paper was a fantastic idea, Oooh...but a circle? I"m scared. Anyhoo...link it here if you can: http://www.decoratinginsanity.com/2012/02/furniture-friday-6-and-link-party.html
    xo...mONICa

    ReplyDelete